Friday, November 21, 2008

FYI: Base for Metal-X?

Ok, so one of the biggest mysteries regarding the MAC Metal-X shadows is what sort of base to use. There have of course been rumors that Liquidlast Liners work well, although multiple MAC artists have refuted that claim. Another artist claimed that they could be used without a base, since they were somewhat of a base themselves. I decided to put them to the test. Today on 1 eye I wore absolutely no base under my Metal-X, Gold Spice. On the other eye, I used Urban Decay's Primer Potion (review coming soon!). Although MAC paints have also been recommended, I chose UDPP because it is rather drying, and not creamy at all. It is also a thin base, which is ideal for these creamy shadows. So, which one was best? See the results below:


Left eye: No base. Right eye: Urban Decay Primer Potion
Photobucket
Photobucket

Aside from the shadow on one side of my face, the side with the UDPP as a base clearly experienced less creasing and fading. Both eyes tended to fade throughout the day, but without a base, why even bother if it's going to look like that?

You may be wondering how long I wore this look. I applied my makeup (albeit rather hastily) at 9am. I took this photo at 7:15pm, after a long day at school, walking strenuously for about 1/2 mile, and running multiple errands, including shopping, all while feeling mildly stuffy from our temperate fall weather! So I wasn't just laying around today, but even still, I usually expect my eyeshadow to stay on a little longer. 

I have good intentions to try MAC paints & paint pots tomorrow to see if they're any better! But now you know, a base is a good idea! :)

No comments: