Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Kat Von D "Adora" Eyeshadow Palette

Photobucket

When I first heard Kat Von D was coming out with a line of makeup, I scoffed a little, expecting it to be just another excuse for a celebrity to make a bit of cash on a generic makeup line. However, lately I've opened the KVD door and been exploring her products a little more, and truth be told, I'm pretty impressed. I loved the look of the "Adora" palette, so I snatched it up immediately. Keep reading for pics and my thoughts!


Photobucket

There are 8 shades included in this palette, three of which are actually cream eyeshadows, the other five, powder. I am a little skeptical of the cream shadows, mostly because they tend to dry up quickly (seen the testers at Sephora?), and often times cream products will crease like a mo-fo. But, I actually did use "Slayer" in a look one day, and was impressed that it didn't crease at all. So, for now I will let them stay.

The left side of the palette kinda irks me, because three of the four colors look almost the same, with the exception that one is a cream. But still, it seems a bit of a waste to include three similar shades.

However, I do love the colors on the far right, "Ace of Spades" and "Oddfellow". They are great variations on your deep crease color, and don't just turn straight black when applied.

Anyways, here are some swatches for you:
Photobucket
l to r: Albino, Holy Bible, Slayer (cream), Glock

Photobucket
l to r: Crucifix (cream), Bloodletting (cream), Ace of Spades, Oddfellow

Overall, the shadows have great pigmentation and fun names, and can give you a smokey eye with a twist. However, several of the colors are similar or hardly useful, thus limiting the different combinations that can be done with it. At $34, is it worth just a smokey eye with a slight twist? That will be something you will have to decide for yourself!

Rating: Proceed With Caution

4 comments:

Cydonian said...

I felt the same way as you when I swatched the palette in store. On promo pics, I got so excited at the purple and red shades and the red was a cream and the purple just... bleh... you know?

Unknown said...

wow the colors are really pigmented! I like!

PinkBeautyBliss.com

MsRinz said...

I love Kat Von D product! just bought myself a lipstick chronicle!!!
rinz@ miss-rinrin.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I purchased all of her previous palettes but this one put me off when I saw it at Sephora's. The 4 colors on the right ruined this palette for me so I did not get it. This is a really good review of this palette.