Saturday, May 8, 2010

Review: Glamour Doll Eyes + Twi-Shadows

Photobucket

Hey guys, I am so sorry for the long hiatus! I moved to Alaska (only for the summer), and my new job has been pretty demanding, so I've had no time for posts. But I hope to be able to update more now that things are starting to quiet down. :)

ANYWAYS, I have been really eager to share my thoughts on my very first Glamour Doll Eyes order! I ordered the entire Twi-Shadows collection. What are twi-shadows, you ask? Well, it's a collection of eyeshadows that are inspired by Twilight. Now, I have neither read the book nor seen the movie, but I am a True Blood fan, so I do have a little soft spot for anything vampires. :) The colors in this collection looked very vampy, so I was excited to try them out.





The price for a GDE eyeshadow is $6- not bad for up to 2.5 grams of product (you have an option for the jar to have a sifter- by not adding a sifter, you receive considerably more product for no extra cost). However, if you purchase all 10 twi-shadows, like I did, they average out to $4 each. And better yet? Shipping is free for all orders over $30, which is very easy to spend. And it applies to int'l orders too!

The package came in a simple first-class envelope, nothing fancy. With my order, I received two samples in baggies, and a "look-book", which was a bunch of business card-sized cards with lots of fun look suggestions. I absolutely love that, because sometimes colors are so pretty but I'm not sure how to wear them. So it definitely gets the creative juices flowing.

Photobucket
Look Book + Look Cards

Photobucket
Samples 

Shipping time was a little iffy. I placed my order on April 1, and needed it by April 20, since I was moving. The site owner stated this would be possible. Well, I did get it by April 20, but by April 20, I mean ON April 20. If it had arrived 1 day later, I would not have received it and would've had to wait to get it forwarded. It's weird because I received a shipping notification on April 11, so it took 9 days to get from Arizona to Utah...so I'm not really sure why it took so long. I don't know if it was USPS, or if my package wasn't shipped til then...but 3 weeks is a bit long to wait for something, especially when you're super excited to receive it, but I did receive it by the date that I needed it so for that I am grateful.

Now, onto the product!

Photobucket
l to r: Mood Swing, Black Ice, Just Bitten, Skin of a Killer, Dear Mom
l to r: Family Secrets, Premonition, Mind Reader, Perfect Cure, Big Brother

The packaging is simple, just 3 gram jars with a cute printed label on each lid. I chose not to add a sifter so that I could receive more product in my jars, and I feel like sifters can be a little tedious to work with, almost counter-productive.

As I mentioned, the line-up for these are quite brilliant. I'm not sure how they relate to the characters or storyline (or if they do at all), but they are so appropriate for anything vampire.

Photobucket
^^Mood Swing is a greyish blue with some shimmer. It has great color payoff, no complaints here! I used this color in a look with Skin of a Killer and Mood Swing- it was gorgeous!

Photobucket
^^Black Ice is a matte black with silver shimmer. In the jar it is as gorgeous as the name implies, and you can understand how it got its name. However, applying it is a bit of a pain; it is splotchy and doesn't blend very easily either. I regretted using this as a crease color because it was so hard to blend. I found that any of the colors with larger pieces of shimmer like this were hard to work with.

Photobucket
^^Just Bitten is a shimmery burgundy with some gold sparkle. It reminds me of MAC's Cranberry, a color that I adore. Anything burgundy/cranberry colored is pretty much a must-have in my book. Great color-payoff.

Photobucket
^^Skin of a Killer is a pale pearly white with gold sparkle. This is definitely pearly, and is a great highlighter or lid color! It has amazing color payoff, and reminds me of many of the white/cream MAC pigments.

Photobucket
l to r: Mood Swing, Black Ice, Just Bitten, Skin of a Killer (all swatched sponge tip applicator)

Photobucket
^^Dear Mom is a soft pink with slight purple sparkle. Again I didn't notice any purple sparkle in this, but as the soft pink, I can see that for sure! :) It is very light though, probably not the best color-payoff. However, I think it's just the nature of this color, not a defect in the product itself.

Photobucket
^^Family Secret is a pearly white. I'm still trying to figure out the difference between this color and Skin of a Killer. Both are pearly white, and in comparing the two, I couldn't see a reason for them to both be in the collection. But it is a pretty color that I am sure I will use and love.

Photobucket
^^Premonition is a dark greyed lavender. This is a really beautiful color! I love the versatility of it, and how it can look different depending on the light and the colors it is paired with. It kind of has an iridescent or duochrome look to it also.

Photobucket
^^Mind Reader is a black blue with gold and silver shimmers. This color was one I was most excited for, because I don't have any deep navy blues in my collection, and it seemed kinda cool and different! However, I am a bit sad because it is just like Black Ice's texture, where it's hard to get color payoff, and even harder to blend. I have used it anyways, just because the color is so pretty, and it eventually works out but takes a bit more effort.

Photobucket
l to r: Dear Mom, Family Secret, Premonition, Mind Reader

Photobucket
^^The Perfect Cure is a medium brown with green and gold sparkle. This is a nice, basic color, usable on those neutral days. It reminds me of MAC's Romping, or even a lighter version of Tea Time pigment. I can see this looking gorgeous paired with deep vampy lips!

Photobucket
^^Big Brother is a greyish green. It kinda reminds me of MAC's Juxt, perhaps a bit darker and a bit more grey. But same sort of deal. I like this color, not sure if it will flatter my blue eyes too well, but I really like it anyways!

Photobucket
l to r: Perfect Cure, Big Brother

So, that's a round up of all the twi-shadows! They are really pretty, most of them have good color payoff. I'd say Black Ice and Mind Reader, though pretty to look at, are disappointing to use. But everything else blends easily, and the colors last all day, crease-free- which is always the true test, right?!

I also picked up some samples of the "regular line" eyeshadows: Sex Appeal, Hello Brooklyn, Royal Assassin and Apple Martini. Samples in jars are only $2.50 and you get 1 gram of product, which really is a generous amount. It's a great way to try lots of colors at a low price. Plus, if you try a sample and then decide you want a full jar, the amount of the sample jar is deducted from the price of the full jar- not a bad deal at all! I will be posting pics and swatches in a separate entry. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! the colors look very pretty! enjoy your goodies :-)